Pre-departure guide for international students
8. Pre-departure checklist
- Accept your offer for study in Canada.
- Apply for a passport, or check that your current passport will be valid for at least six months beyond your return date.
- Apply for immigration documents, if required (see Section 3).
- Book airline tickets.
- Buy travel and health insurance (see Section 3.10).
- Arrange accommodation in Canada (see Section 4.4)
- Arrange transportation to/from the airport at home and in Canada.
- Arrange your banking—consider buying traveller’s cheques for large denominations, as well as carrying a smaller amount of cash.
- Check baggage and customs limitations.
- Clear all paperwork with your home educational institution.
- Ensure all of your documents are in order and make photocopies to pack in your baggage, to leave at home, and to send to your email address (see Section 3.2). These documents include:
- Airline tickets
- Travel insurance certificate
- Letter of acceptance for your Canadian educational institution
- Key addresses and phone numbers
- A bank statement showing proof of funds
- Letter of introduction from Canadian immigration, if applicable
- Prescriptions for any medication you are carrying
- Traveller’s cheques, if applicable
- Medical and immunization records
- Academic history and university transcripts
- Find out about Canada and the town or city where you will be living and studying.
- Contact your Canadian educational institution with any questions you may have.
Previous Page - Next Page
- Date Modified: