Language schools

Language studies

When you study English or French in Canada, you will learn so much more than the pleasant pronunciation of Canadian English or the wonderful romance of Canadian French. You will learn about the beauty of a country that has more than two million lakes, more than 1000 parks, four distinct seasons and many natural wonders.

The consistency of standards is very important to Canadians and ensures that you will experience only the best quality instruction. Whether you choose to study on the East Coast, the West Coast or anywhere in between, you will not be disappointed.

You can find a listing of Canadian language schools accredited under an internationally-recognized quality-assurance mechanism at the website of Languages Canada.

Academic language requirements for post-secondary education

You do not have to speak both English and French to study at a Canadian university or college - however, you will have to show proficiency in one, depending on the institution you apply to. Many English-language universities and colleges required that you write a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOFEL) or the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL). Canadian French-language universities usually assess applicants on a case-by-case basis. To find out the language requirement for a specific university or college, check with its registrar’s office.