Work and study in Canada

Gain valuable work experience and supplement your spending allowance with a student job.

While you must supply sufficient evidence that you can pay for your tuition and living expenses before you arrive in Canada, there are a number of opportunities for you and your spouse/common-law partner to work while you study in Canada.

Working in Canada can go a long way towards helping you establish business contacts for the future and can even help you immigrate after graduation.

Jobs for international students in Canada

On and off campus jobs

Find out if you’re eligible to work on campus or off campus without a work permit while completing your studies at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website.


If your studies in Canada include a co-op placement or internship as an essential part of your program, you may be eligible for a co-op/internship work permit.

Travel and work in Canada

Many young people come to Canada through International Experience Canada. Eligibility for IEC is based on specific agreements between Canada and other countries, which usually include three streams:

  • Working Holiday: Travel and experience Canada while earning money to fund your holiday.
  • Young Professional: Gain professional work experience in Canada and develop your career to compete the global economy. 
  • International Co-op: You’re enrolled in post-secondary studies elsewhere but have a job offer for an internship or co-op placement in Canada to complete your post-secondary program.