Frequently asked questions for international students

1. What are the requirements for admission into Canadian universities and colleges (technical institutes)?

Each college and university in Canada has its own policy regarding admission requirements. Contact each college and university directly for the admission requirements of the program of interest. Find a program and click on the name of the college or university to visit its website and find its contact information.

2. I have been accepted to study English as a Second Language (ESL) at a private institution in Canada. How can I make sure that it is a good quality program?

Languages Canada monitors the quality of language schools across Canada and offers lists of approved programs and members.

3. I currently live in a country that I am not a citizen of. Where should I apply for a study permit; in my country of citizenship or in my country of residence?

If you are not a citizen of the country where you submit your application, you may have to provide proof of your current immigration status in that country. Study permit: Get the right documents page on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website provides further information.

4. I have completed all but one year of my program in my home country. I would like to finish the final year of my program in Canada. Will a Canadian institution accept the years of study that I completed in my home country and allow me to enter the final year in Canada?

Each college and university in Canada has its own policy regarding transfer credits from other institutions. Contact the college or university of interest directly to find out which transfer credits, if any, can be applied towards the intended program of study.

You may also want to look into whether your current institution has any credit recognition agreements with institutions in Canada. The international relations office of your college or university may be able to help in that regard.

5. I was accepted at a Canadian institution and sent in my application for a study permit a few weeks ago, but I have not heard back yet. Can you tell me when it will arrive? Can you do anything to speed up the process so I get my study permit right away?

Study permits are administered by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Visit their Help Centre for answers to frequently asked questions about study permits. Global Affairs Canada has no involvement in study permits or temporary resident visas.

6. Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada while I study?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website outlines the eligibility requirements for spouses or common-law partners to work in Canada.

7. My child is a Canadian citizen, but we have been living outside Canada for many years. How can I find out what institution my child will attend when we return to Canada? Does she/he need to apply as an international student?

Education in Canada is under provincial and territorial jurisdiction so you will need to contact the ministry of education for the province or territory where you plan to live, and your new city or town’s school board.

As a Canadian citizen, your child would not be required to apply as an international student, and therefore would not need a study permit.

8. How is Global Affairs Canada involved in this campaign?

Global Affairs Canada supports the international education sector by promoting Canada (through EduCanada) as a premier destination for international students and researchers. Global Affairs Canada works closely with the Association des collèges et universités de la francophonie canadienne (ACUFC) to attract international students to French-language postsecondary institutions to train a qualified workforce and advance the growth of an inclusive economy in Canada. Global Affairs Canada will not collect any personal information. The Department may use Google web analytics for statistical purposes only.

Submitting your email address is voluntary and constitutes your consent to collect, use, save and disclose your email address to 21 colleges and universities that are members of ACUFC. Your email address will be used for statistical purposes and will be provided to educational institutions in Canada to improve communication with you.

9. How was I identified for this campaign?

Using Facebook analytics, your profile was identified as someone who might be interested in pursuing a college program, or an undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate program in the following fields:

  • Administration and commerce
  • Communications and public relations
  • Science, engineering and technology
  • Humanities and social sciences
  • Education sciences

Global Affairs Canada is not targeting you specifically. Facebook advertising allows businesses and organizations to connect with people who are the most likely to be interested in their goods and services. Google strives to ensure that its ads are as relevant as possible.

The 21 colleges and universities that are members of ACUFC offer more than 1,200 French or bilingual training programs. Learn more at

10. How do I stop receiving these types of ads?

Users who choose to interact with us via the Internet and social media can learn more about the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications used to access them. For more information please see Facebook Data policy and Google Privacy Policy

11. How will the information provided on the form be used and by whom?

The information you provide on the form will only be used by the Canadian educational institutions and schools participating in this campaign. They may choose to follow up with you in order to provide you with further guidance and answer any further questions you may have about studying at their educational institutions or schools.

12. Links to other websites and ads

From time to time, Global Affairs Canada may post or display links or ads for websites that are not under the control of Global Affairs Canada or the Government of Canada. These links are provided solely for the convenience of the users. Neither Global Affairs Canada nor the Government of Canada is responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the content on these sites. Global Affairs Canada does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links or ads, nor does it endorse the sites, businesses/products/services and/or their content.

Users should also note that information offered by non-Government of Canada websites that are not subject to the Official Languages Act and to which Global Affairs Canada links, may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question