Working after graduation

There are many options available to you once you have completed your studies in Canada. You may choose to:

  • Return to your home country armed with a globally recognized degree or diploma and invaluable international work experience.
  • Continue your studies in Canada for advanced credentials.
  • Gain additional work experience in Canada.

Stay in Canada after graduation

Gaining valuable work experience in Canada after graduation can go a long way towards helping you permanently immigrate here. The following programs can help facilitate this process for eligible candidates:

Post-graduation work permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry.

Learn more about the Post Graduate Work Permit at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.

Express Entry

Express Entry is the first step for most people who wish to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. After you have studied and worked in Canada, complete an online profile to see if you have the education, skills, work experience and language ability to be accepted into the pool of candidates. The top candidates are invited to apply for permanent residence.

Learn more about Express Entry at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.  

Provincial Nominee Program

Almost all of Canada’s provinces and territories can nominate people to immigrate to Canada. These people have the skills, education and work experience they need to contribute to the economy of that province or territory.

Learn more about the Provincial Nominee Program at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.