Language selection


Frequently asked questions

International students wishing to study in Canada

  1. What are the requirements for admission into Canadian universities?

    Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding admission requirements. Contact each university directly for the admission requirements of the program you’re interested in. Find a program and click on the name of the university for its website and contact information.

  2. I have been accepted to study English as a Second Language (ESL)/French as a Second Language (FSL) at a private institution in Canada. How can I make sure that it is a good quality program?

    Languages Canada provides a quality assessment of the language schools across Canada and offers lists of approved programs and members.

  3. I currently live in a country that I am not a citizen of. Where should I apply for a study permit in my country of citizenship or my country of residence?

    If you are not a citizen of the country where you submit your application, you may have to provide proof of your present immigration status in the country where you apply. Get the right documents – Study in Canada on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website provides further information.

  4. I have completed all but one year of my program in my home country. I would like to finish the final year of my program in Canada. Will a Canadian institution accept the academic years that I completed in my home country and allow me to enter the final year in Canada?

    Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding transfer credits from other institutions. Contact the university that you are interested in directly to find out which transfer credits, if any, can be applied towards your intended program of study.

    You may also want to look into whether your current institution has any credit recognition agreements with institutions in Canada. The international relations office of your university may be able to help in that regard.

  5. I was accepted at a Canadian institution and sent in my application for a study permit a few weeks ago, but I have not heard back yet. Can you tell me when it will arrive? Can you do anything to speed up the process so I get my study permit right away?

    Study permits are administered by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Visit their Help Centre for answers to frequently asked questions about study permits. Global Affairs Canada has no involvement in regards to study permits or temporary resident visas.

  6. Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada while I study?

    Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website outlines the eligibility requirements for your spouse or common-law partner to work in Canada.

  7. My child is a Canadian citizen, but we have been living outside Canada for many years. How can I find out what grade my child will go into when we return to Canada? Does she/he need to apply as an international student?

    Education in Canada is under provincial and territorial jurisdiction so you will need to contact the ministry of education for the province or territory where you plan to live, as well as your new city or town’s school board.

    As a Canadian citizen, your child would not be required to apply as an international student, and therefore would not need a study permit.
Date Modified: