Organization of American States (OAS) Professional Development Scholarship Program
Competition deadlines vary throughout the year. See key dates for more information.
Citizens of Organization of American States (OAS) Member States can apply for professional development scholarship program from the Department of Human Development, Education and Culture (DHDEC) of the General Secretariat of the OAS.
You can find the course descriptions for the Professional Development Scholarships Program from the OAS. They are short-term courses for specialized training. In the course descriptions you’ll find information about the:
- offering institution
- eligibility requirements
- application procedures
- benefits offered
- application deadline
Courses may take place onsite, by distance education or in a combination of both. Many courses are offered throughout the year. Consult the Professional Development Scholarships Program regularly to stay informed of courses offered.
Note that descriptions are only available in the language in which the course is delivered.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- ✔ be citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- ✔ meet the course requirements
- ✔ be proficient in the language in which the course is delivered
Scholarship value and duration
The type of funding will vary according to the type and length of the professional development course. Individual course descriptions specify the funding offered by the institution and/or the sponsoring agency.
When directed by the OAS to submit an application to the National Liaison Office (ONE) in Canada, applicants must:
- fill out the online application for the Professional Development Scholarships Program available in each OAS course description
- print and sign a copy of the application form
- submit the signed OAS application form with all required documentation to the ONE by mail or by email
Contact information for the ONE in Canada:
Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
Attn: OAS Professional Development Scholarship Program
220 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 1550
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5Z9
When applying by mail, applicants should collect the application form and all the required supporting documents in a sealed envelope. This envelope should be sent to ONE by a method that gives confirmation of delivery, such as a courier service or registered mail.
The ONE will acknowledge receipt of the documents by email.
Scholarship selection criteria
To be considered for the OAS Professional Development Scholarship Program, applications must have the official endorsement of the designated ONE of the OAS Member State in which the applicant is a citizen or permanent resident. Applications submitted directly to the OAS will not be considered.
The application form and all required documentation must be received by the ONE at least 7 business days before the deadline in the specific course description from the OAS. The ONE is the official channel for processing OAS scholarships. The ONE will send the completed application form to the DHDEC in Washington, DC.
Notification of results
Applicants will be contacted directly by the OAS about the status of their application. Permanent Missions to the OAS, the ONEs and the Offices of the General Secretariat in the countries concerned will also be informed of the names of the scholarship recipients.
Applicants must ensure that a permanent email address is included in their application.
Conditions for successful applicants
Terms and conditions:
- Applicants are only eligible for a scholarship for study in an OAS member state other than Canada
- A scholarship for study in another country in which the applicant also holds citizenship or permanent residency is subject to approval
- Applicants may be granted a scholarship for a distance education course where the participant remains in Canada for all or most of the duration of the course
- Recipients of an OAS Professional Development Scholarship Program in the past 12 months and current OAS scholarship recipients are not eligible to apply
All decisions made by the OAS are final and are not open to appeal.
Documents submitted to the ONE will not be returned.
These scholarships are subject to the availability of funding provided by the OAS through the DHDEC.
- Contact the ONE in Canada, the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE): email@example.com or 613-237-4820
Deadline approaching: Scholarship opportunities for students from Southeast Asia
2023-03-14 - Canadian post-secondary academic institutions have until March 28, 2023 to submit...
Deadline approaching: 700+ short-term exchange scholarships in Canada for international students and faculty
2023-03-07 - Canadian post-secondary institutions have until March 21, 2023 to submit scholarship...
Deadline approaching: Scholarships opportunities for Canadians in OAS member states
2023-03-02 - Canadian citizens and permanent residents have until March 10, 2023 to apply for scholarships...
- Date Modified: