Going to Canada checklist
You picked your new city, you found your program and now you’re getting ready to come to Canada. This handy checklist will help you plan all the steps you need to take before departure.
Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime!
- Accept your offer to study in Canada.
- Apply for a new passport or ensure that your current passport will be valid for at least 6 months after your return date to your home country. You need a valid passport to apply for scholarships to study in Canada.
- Apply for a study permit or travel/work visa.
- Buy your airline ticket to Canada.
- Buy travel and health insurance.
- Get copies of your medical and immunization records.
- Arrange for housing. You can request on-campus housing at your college or university before you leave your home country. If you’re going to look for private housing, you may wish to do that when you arrive in Canada.
- Arrange transportation to and from the airport at home and in Canada.
- Plan your banking needs. Consider setting up your Canadian bank account in advance or buying traveller’s cheques. Get a small amount of Canadian cash before departure and pack your credit card.
- Find out about your baggage limitations and customs requirements so you can plan your packing.
- Make sure you have all documents you need from your educational institution(s).
- Scan or make photocopies of important documents to pack in your baggage, to leave at home and to send to your email address.
- Download the ArriveCan mobile app to provide mandatory travel information required for entry into Canada.
- Learn as much as you can about Canada and the town or city where you will be living and studying.
- Contact your Canadian school, college or university with any questions you have about enrolling in classes, your first week, finding accommodation, etc.
- Date Modified: