To be considered for the Foreign Government Awards Program - Korea, the applicant must complete the Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) Application Form for Graduate Program and supporting documents and submit the application package by mail. Certified copies of translations of documents which are not submitted in English must be included with original documents.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) application
Applicants must complete the KGSP Application Form for Graduate Program and provide the supporting documents as requested. Applicants are required to submit the application form and supporting documents listed below to the following address:
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
Attention: Korean Government Scholarship Program
150 Boteler Street
To access the KGSP Application Form for Graduate Program, visit the 2019 Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for Graduate Degrees Application Guidelines.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that documents are received at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to Canada by the deadline.
It is recommended that applicants post this documentation in a sealed envelope and send it to the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to Canada by a method which will provide a confirmation of its delivery, such as courier service or registered mail.
Supporting documents to submit by mail
All applicants must submit one set of original documents and three sets of photocopies identical to the original set. All photocopies and any documents that cannot be submitted in the original format (e.g. degree) must be notarized.
For sealed documents such as official transcripts and letters of recommendation, applicants must submit four identical documents each sealed in separate envelopes.
All supporting documentation may be submitted in English or in French, but documents submitted in French must include a translation into English by a certified translator.
The following documents must be submitted to the Embassy of the Republic of Korea by mail:
- KGSP Application Form: Each application form must have original signatures.
- Personal statement: Applicants must include a letter describing their study background, education and work experience and their motivation for applying to this program. This form is included in the KGSP Application Form.
- Statement of purpose: Applicants must include a synopsis of the proposed area of research and their future career plans after studying in Korea. This form is included in the KGSP Application Form.
- Two letters of recommendation: Applicants must include two letters of recommendation from two different referees who can provide an assessment of the applicant’s academic abilities. Applicants must submit the reference letters in separate sealed envelopes which have been signed across the back by its referee.
- Applicant pledge: This form is included in the KGSP Application Form.
- Personal medical assessment: This form is included in the KGSP Application Form.
- Degree diplomas: Applicants must provide their diplomas for undergraduate and graduate degrees (if applicable). If a diploma is expected to be obtained by August 31st, applicants must submit a letter from the institution of the expected degree.
- Official transcripts: Applicants must submit transcripts of all post-secondary studies to date (complete academic record(s) including colleges and CÉGEPs) with the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) for each degree or certificate. Applicants currently enrolled in a program of study must submit the most recent transcript.
- Proof of applicant’s citizenship: Applicants must provide notarized copies of a birth certificate, citizenship card or passport; a baptismal certificate is not accepted as proof of Canadian citizenship.
- Proof of parents’ citizenship: Applicants must provide notarized copies of a birth certificate, citizenship card or passport; a baptismal certificate is not accepted as proof of Canadian citizenship.
- Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) certificate (if available): Applicants should provide any original copy indicating score achieved and level.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (if applicable): Applicants should provide any original copy of certificate with the official test results.
- Publications (if available): Photocopies of original publications are accepted.
- Awards (if available): Photocopies of awards are accepted.
All decisions made by the host country are final and are not open to appeal.
Documents submitted to the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to Canada will not be returned.
These scholarships are subject to the availability of funding provided by the Government of the Republic of Korea.